To encounter the second boss in Dark Souls 3, Vordt of the Boreal Valley, you move into the first area of High Wall Lothric. This you enter as part of the quest of the Emma, High Priestess of Lothric Castle.
Similar to the first Boss Iudex Gundyr this boss fight is not optional, but must be overcome if you want to hoist the banner and progress in the undead settlement. The fight against Vordt of the Boreal Valley triggers once you approach the locked door. Step into his premises shall meet you a figure on all fours, armed with a mace - which is Vordt of the Boreal Valley. It is much easier to avoid him and to defeat him. The following list shows you all attacks that Vordt of the Boreal Valley the boss fight used. We then describe the course of the fight.
- Slash / Blows with the mace: Vordt of the Boreal Valley will always beat you with his mace and thereby perform individual blows, but also combos.
- Charge / Assault: The Charge sets Vordt of the Boreal Valley three to four times in a row. This he puts on in a straight line.
- Buff: If the Vordt weakened enough (50%), it will start to use the Ice Breath attacks. If you are in the proximity of the enemy, your bar will fill for ice damage. In addition, it will apply more ice attacks.
- Ice Breath: This is a surface attack with a short charging time. Since the ice breath goes forward, you have little time to position behind the bosses.
The fight against boss Vordt of the Boreal Valley consists of two phases. In the first phase you will be attacked by the counterparty with his mace. After you have taken him half of his life energy, he goes to the Ice attacks.
Tips to beat Vordt of the Boreal Valley
The subsequent list gives you tips on attacking Vordt of the Boreal Valley. With certain techniques you can escape from his attacks and hit back. At the end of our Boss Guide to Vordt of the Boreal Valley you find a video that shows you how you can defeat this enemy.
- If you already have equipment and rings to protect you against frost attacks, then use them here. This will increase your frost resistance.
- In the first phase you behave calmly and will always try to stay behind or under Vordt. He is after you swing with his piston and you have to dodge these attacks or roll away under him. If it is possible you come into a position from which you can attack him, then takes this opportunity and slash. But remember your cover and dodge.
- The second phase is a bit more difficult, because here you have to stay away from the enemy. This means that you move quickly and attack at the right moment and then immediately escape. In his proximity you will continuously weakened by his Frost Aura and when your Frost bar is full, will decrease your endurance and regenerate more slowly. The more difficult you to escape his advance executing attacks, and your attempts.
Loot: So you will be rewarded for the boss fight
Once you have defeated this boss, you will have the quest to complete and may hoist the banner. Thereby you get into the next area of Dark Souls 3, the undead settlement. These items will be falling from Vordt:
Souls - 3,000
Boss Soul - 1 x Vordt of the Boreal Valley
Dark Souls 3: find Silver Eagle Kite Shield - location
Beat the first boss Iudex Gundyr in Dark Souls 3
Fix - Lags / Stuttering while playing Dark Souls 3 (PS4 / PC)